At 02:24 PM 4/11/99 -0600, Aaron Blosser wrote:

>If so, someone build me a paralellized factoring program and I'll run it on
>my quad CPU machines.  :-)  *If* that were to happen, would it be possible
>to look for factors bigger than the current ~64bit numbers?  Have it run
>back and look for factors of the Mersenne numbers....

There is little use for a paralleled version of this.  The only advantage
is that if you wanted a quicker test of a single number.  Throughput would
be as large or larger running 4 instances testing different numbers
compared to a 4-CPU parallel program working on one number at a time.

| Jud McCranie                 [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| "317 is a prime, not because we think so, or because our |
| minds are shaped in one way rather than another, but     |
| because it is so, because mathematical reality is built  |
| that way."  G. H. Hardy, A Mathematician's Apology, 1940 |