Herman De Wael wrote:

> You have the correct argument, but you draw the wrong
> conclusion, Petri.
>
> It takes only one civilization to populate the galaxy.
> Since we find no signs of them (and they should have been
> here as well !), we might conclude we are the one that will
> do it !

I've heard this argument before.

Firstly, why should they have been here as well? It's a mighty
big Galaxy....

Secondly, SETI has only been going on for a few decades. Maybe we
have been listening to the wrong frequencies, or maybe we have been
listening at the wrong coordinates... Who knows? The only thing we
can be sure of is that we haven't looked hard enough yet.

Of course, there is a possibility that an interstellar civilization
would not use radiowaves, or they wouldn't be interested in contacting
"primitive" civilizations like ours. In that case, SETI would be
pointless.

But it would be pretty sad if we didn't even *try* to find them...

-- Petri