Chris Nash wrote:

> If the verification of M38 is making us impatient, how on earth would we
> feel if SETI did find E.T., and we had to wait thousands of years for our...

If SETI found a signal, antennae all over the planet would focus on it
and large numbers of brains would consume themselves trying to sort
out and interpret the messages.

I am one who would *immediately* drop my job like a red hot
horseshoe and devote my full attention exclusively to the task.
I make no apology, and I am quite serious.  I would consider
it far more important than anything else I could do.

In the meantime, I am happy to search for the next Mersenne
prime, and find lots of Mersenne composites.  spike