----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian J. Beesley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Richard Woods" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Re: P-1 limits

> On Saturday 13 July 2002 10:04, Richard Woods wrote:

> > V22 non-P4 FFTs are 384K in length for exponents 6545000 through
> > 7779000, then 448K for exponents 7779000-9071000.  The two exponents you
> > list are on opposite sides of that division, so the higher exponent will
> > require substantially longer for each FFT operation.  That cost
> > difference affects the outcome of the algorithm that selects P-1 limits.
>
> Shouldn't make much difference - P-1 computation rate is directly linked
> LL testing computation rate, since the same crossover points are used and
the
> main cost of both is FFT multiplication.

I agree.  I did wonder about the following (from the guess_pminus1_bounds
function in file commonc.c):-

/* Pass 2 FFT multiplications seem to be at least 20% slower than */
/* the squarings in pass 1.  This is probably due to several factors. */
/* These include: better L2 cache usage and no calls to the faster */
/* gwsquare routine. */

 pass2_squarings *= 1.2;

However, the adjustment is linear, so should have no effect upon the
relative costs across the FFT boundary.

> I think the most likely cause is that the P-1 limits depend on the
relative
> speed of P-1/LL computation speed and trial factoring speed. If
> RollingAverage was slightly different, the relative computation rate might
be
> "guessed" to be different enough for the P-1 limits to vary slightly.

I don't understand this.  Why should the relative speeds of P-1/LL vs TF
vary?  And what difference would it make if they did?  The depth - hence the
cost - of TF is fixed (at 63 bits for these exponents).  The only trade-off
is between the cost of the P-1 vs the expected cost of the LL computation.

> Regards
> Brian Beesley

Daran G.