Brian J. Beesley wrote:
> Shouldn't make much difference

Of course.

By Daran's example (quoted here in reverse order),
  7714127    B1=40000, B2=650000
  7786567    B1=40000, B2=640000
one can easily see that the effect of differing FFT sizes (384K for
exponent 7714127, 448K for 7786567) on choice of P-1 limits was small in
this case.

But Daran's question was about why the the _smaller_ exponent should get
the _higher_ B2 limit at all.  My point was that that was a result of
the FFT difference on the algorithm's output.

> P-1 computation rate is directly linked to LL testing computation
> rate, since the same crossover points are used and the main cost
> of both is FFT multiplication.

True, but the question here was about the choice of B1 and B2 limits.

> I think the most likely cause is that the P-1 limits depend on the
> relative speed of P-1/LL computation speed and trial factoring speed.

No.  Neither trial factoring speed nor its ratio to P-1/LL computation
speed enters into the P-1 limit-choosing algorithm.

> If RollingAverage was slightly different, the relative computation
> rate might be "guessed" to be different enough for the P-1 limits
> to vary slightly.

No.  The P-1 limit-choosing algorithm does not consider RollingAverage
either.

Richard Woods

P.S.  When replying to this message, check that your reply's To: field
contains "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".  My ISP's mail handler has been mangling
the Reply-To: field of messages I send.