Hi,

It's probably worth saying this for the benefit of all readers who may be experiencing heat issues with their systems:

The front air intake vents on almost every PC case I have ever seen have been virtually *useless*. For some reason manufacturers continue to drill a few pathetically small holes in the steel sheet and call that an air duct. People then put case fans against these and try to suck against what is 90% metal sheet and wonder why not much happens.

What you should do is to take a saw or a drill and cut the whole circular section out! You may end up with sharp edges, and you need to take precautions against metal shavings. You may also need to drill some neat holes (e.g. 10mm diameter) in the plastic front bezel in order to provide an unimpeded air path.

Nevertheless, when the procedure is done you should be able to hold a match in front of a machine with nothing other than the PSU fan and see the flame visibly sucked into the case.

If your airflow can't do that, then any internal fans you deploy are going to be pulling on a vacuum (or rather, reduced pressure). If it can do that, then you are in a *much* better position to keep your number cruncher cool and reliable!

Nathan Russell wrote:

I'll delete all my selftestNpassed lines, just to be on the safe side,
but I really think the issue was a heat issue, which is now gone.

--
======= Gareth Randall =======