> I'm giving my brother's family a new computer for christmas.
> He'll buy it from a local (to him) 'white box' pc store and I'll
> pay for it.  I am a little concerned about performance because
> the pc will probably be running GIMPS and I'd like to get my
> money's worth.  It's easy to request a P4 in the 2.0-2.5 range
> and 256M-512M of memory but I've read of the bottleneck caused
> by slow memory and the bus between memory and cpu and I don't
> know what to specify or how to evaluate components in this area
> or measure performance after the pc is built.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

for P4 systems, from fastest (most $$) to slowest (cheapest) it goes, RDRAM,
DDR SDRAM, regular PC133 SDRAM.   I'd suggest getting the DDR SDRAM.   The
Intel i845PE chipsets support this.

> I want them to have a fast machine but not on the bleeding
> (expensive) edge.
>
> Other than GIMPS I'm sure my nephew will be the heaviest load
> when he plays games on the new machine.
>
> I think I should also request the video card has all of it's own
> memory, right?  I don't want the video to share the main memory
> for performance reasons, right?

yeah, get a NVIDIA Geforce based graphics card...  ATI might have won the
latest round of benchmark wars, but NVIDIA has better driver stability.   If
you're going way cheap, get a GF3, more expensive get one of the slower
steppings of the GF4 Ti (note that the budget GF4 MX is really a GF3 grade
board, its kinda confusing).

my shopping list for a reasonably priced high quality P4 right now is, with
prices from my local cloneshop (not the cheapest place, but good service)...

$213  Intel Retail P4-2.4"B" (these have the 533MHz bus)
$133  Asus P4PE/L (i845pe chip, integrated ethernet and audio)
$158  Samsung 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
$163  Asus V8420 GF4 Ti 4200, 128MB
$113  Seagate Baracuda ATA IV 80GB disk (super quiet, very fast)
 $48  Toshiba 16X DVD-ROM
 $83  Teac CDW540E 40/12/48 cd-rw burner
  $8  Mitsumi floppy
 $78  Enlight mid-tower
 $23  Microsoft Intellimouse Optical OEM
  $9  Mitsumi generic 104 keyboard

$1030 total for a 2.4Ghz 512MB machine with 80GB of disk, DVD-ROM and CD
burner.  This does NOT include the monitor, printer, or speakers, as those
are all highly subjective.  I also didn't include a modem, there's ethernet
on the motherboard.. if these guys use dialup...

now, if you need to trim corners, A) back off on the video card, get a
GF4MX, B) back off to 256MB ram, thats enough, 512 is a luxury, if needed it
could be added in.  C) get a cheaper case.  D) drop the DVD, you can always
add one in later.