On Monday 25 November 2002 12:36, you wrote:

> One should basically not use a CD-R/CD-RW as a general CD reader, since it
> usually has way lower MTBF than a normal CD/DVD reader, and is more
> expensive. Ie. it breaks a lot earlier if you use it a lot, and it's more
> expensive to replace :-)

Did you check out the manufacturer's claimed MTBF? A sample I checked out
showed no significant difference between CD, CD-R & CD-RW drives.

I've _never_ had any problems with CD-RW drives on linux systems, except for
an old model which refuses to write some high-speed CD-R media above 2x,
though it appears to write medium-speed media at its limit of 4x quite
happily.

On Windows systems, woe & despondency. Basically I gave up Roxio as a total
disaster. Nero is better, but every so often after writing a CD it refuses to
read anything in the same drive until system reboot. Never had any genuine
hardware problems, though.

Playing a lens cleaning CD occasionally does no harm. Most PCs tend to suck
air and dust in through gaps in the front panel, this can cause a buildup of
crud on the RW head.