On 03/02/2013 07:00 AM, Christoph Bumiller wrote:
On 02.03.2013 00:14, Ian Romanick wrote:
Since last September I've been gradually working on an extension to
let applications query information about the renderer before (and
after) creating a context.  I've talked it over with a few ISVs and
with various other folks.  I also gathered some input from folks at
FOSDEM after my talk there.  After going through several iterations of
review and modification, I think it's finally ready for wider input.

Some of the earliest feedback that I got was that many ISVs really
like the interface that fills this niche on Mac OS.  It's a pretty
nice API, and this API is modeled after it.  There are, however, some
differences.

I've pasted the spec below so that people can provide in-line
comments.  I've also pushed a branch with the spec and the initial
implementation.  There are a few things potentially provided by the
spec that are not included in the initial implementation.  I've
implemented a couple unit tests, and I have some piglit tests
in-progress.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~idr/mesa/log/?h=query-renderer

I'm mostly looking for input on the specification itself.  Once this
is good, I will also add EGL support.
     GLX renderer attribute         number     description
                                   of values
     ----------------------        ---------   -----------
     GLX_RENDERER_VENDOR_ID_MESA   1           PCI ID of the device vendor
     GLX_RENDERER_DEVICE_ID_MESA   1           PCI ID of the device

     5) How can applications tell the difference between different
hardware
     renderers for the same device?  For example, whether the renderer
is the
     open-source driver or the closed-source driver.

         RESOLVED.  Assuming this extension is ever implemented outside
Mesa,
         applications can query GLX_RENDERER_VENDOR_ID_MESA from
         glXQueryRendererStringMESA.  This will almost certainly return
         different strings for open-source and closed-source drivers.

Why would the "PCI ID of the device vendor" change with the driver ?

Hopefully the PCI ID wouldn't change, but the resolution of this issue only applies to the string version of the query.

    GLX renderer attribute        description