Thomas Tanner wrote:

> Hi
>
>  what do you think about using GNU autoconf/automake/libtool for Mesa?
>
>  These tools are used by most modern open source packages,
>  simplify and standardize the installation process
>  (configure; make; make install) and make it much easier
>  to port the package to other platforms.
>
>  It would replace the mklib.* scripts and autodetect platform
>  specific features such as MMX support, X11 paths, compilers etc.
>  libtool is able to build shared libraries on nearly all Unix-like
>  platforms (incl. BeOS) and static libraries on all platforms.
>  This build system could friendly coexist with the DOS/Win/Amiga
>  Makefiles, except that the file "Makefile" would be overwritten.

It's not something any of the developers here have a lot of experience
with, but it's been seen as a 'future task' for quite a while - if you
can demonstrate something which works well and is stable and nobody has
to worry too much about - and perhaps can co-exist with the existing
setup in the meantime - and didn't get in the developers' way - and
didn't slow compilation times (I'm talking about that libtool thing) -
and maybe made the coffee and could tell a good story - well then I
think you'd have a good chance of success...

Keith