Thomas Tanner wrote:

> Hi
>
>  what do you think about using GNU autoconf/automake/libtool for Mesa?
>
>  These tools are used by most modern open source packages,
>  simplify and standardize the installation process
>  (configure; make; make install) and make it much easier
>  to port the package to other platforms.
>
>  It would replace the mklib.* scripts and autodetect platform
>  specific features such as MMX support, X11 paths, compilers etc.
>  libtool is able to build shared libraries on nearly all Unix-like
>  platforms (incl. BeOS) and static libraries on all platforms.
>  This build system could friendly coexist with the DOS/Win/Amiga
>  Makefiles, except that the file "Makefile" would be overwritten.
>
>  Comments?

I'm tempted to defer this to the next major release, just to avoid
problems.

For the long term though I think autoconf probably is the right way
to go.  A few concerns:

1. As you point out, there's probably a few non-Unix systems that
don't have autoconf but work with the existing Makefiles.  Traditional
Makefiles will probably still be needed.

2. I've had several offers from people to write autoconf scripts in
the past but when I ask about them about maintenance they seem to go
silent.  Someone will have to maintain this stuff, or at least document
it thoroughly so I can understand it.  Maintenance and documentation
often take more resources than the initial setup.

-Brian