On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:04:49 -0700, Keith Whitwell wrote:
>
> >Can't we have a prebuilt ./configure in the repository?
>
> This is generally considered to be a Bad Idea, since configure is
> autogenerated code and it's easy to forget to update it before checking
> in changes (and it wastes space). The general model is for the
> cvs developers to install autoconf and friends; configure *is* included
> in any source distributions so others can use that. 'make dist' then
> takes care of keeping it up-to-date.

False.

A prebuilt script is a good idea, - at this time I can't create it on my
own, since my autoconf is too old.

It should be no problem to run a script on the CVS-Server at every
checkin, which generates a new configure file. The g200 people implemented
something like this to forward a mail to their dev-list with the
commit-log.

I don't know, if everybody is allowed to install this script, possibly Rob
or Brian have to do this.

- Holger