On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Holger Waechtler wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:04:49 -0700, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> >
> > >Can't we have a prebuilt ./configure in the repository?
> >
> > This is generally considered to be a Bad Idea, since configure is
> > autogenerated code and it's easy to forget to update it before checking
> > in changes (and it wastes space). The general model is for the
> > cvs developers to install autoconf and friends; configure *is* included
> > in any source distributions so others can use that. 'make dist' then
> > takes care of keeping it up-to-date.
> >

> False.
>
> A prebuilt script is a good idea...

I disagree. We should keep configure.in and Makefile.am in the repository
but only deliver configure itself with distributions.

IMHO, repositories should contain the ultimate sources for things and
nothing else. We don't want some misguided person fixing a configuration
problem by editing 'configure' and putting it into the repository, only
to have it ignored the next time someone runs autoconf.

> ...at this time I can't create it on my > own, since my autoconf
> is too old.

If your autoconf is too old - and you are a developer - just download the
new one - it's free and it won't take but 10 minutes to get it up and
running.

Steve Baker                (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
Raytheon Systems Inc.      (817)619-2466 (Fax)
Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.hti.com
Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1