Thomas Tanner wrote:

>  I don't see why you're objecting to this idea.
>  I just want to implement support for dynamically loadable
>  drivers which requires replacing the old "kludges"
>  with another - in your opinion - "kludge".

I see the point you're trying to make.  I guess the problems, as I
see them, are:

1. Linux (Unix) and Windows are, by far, the most popular platforms for
Mesa/OpenGL.  The GLX and WGL interfaces are very well established.
Nobody will use a Mesa-specific interface instead of GLX/WGL since
they'd be limiting themselves to Mesa versus many other OpenGL
implementations.

2. The X/Mesa is not intended to be directly used by application
developers.  It's an intermediate layer under Mesa's pseudo GLX.
It helps to manage complexity in the system.  Similarly, more people
take advantage of 3D hardware via the GLX layer than the FX/Mesa
interface.

3. The OS/Mesa interface is somewhat popular.  I can't hardly change
or replace it now.

4. The other interfaces (SVGA, DOS, GGI, etc) aren't used by too
many people compared to GLX/WGL (judging from the absense of any
email regarding them).

If you can design a uniform layer on top of some of these interfaces
you should consider how many people will actually make use of it
before you expend a lot of time on it.

In any case, you're welcome to design a new interface layer.  We
certainly can't stop you.  It could be fun to do and you'd probably
learn something in the process.  If you write a detailed spec we'd
be happy to critique it. :)

-Brian