On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Corbin Simpson
<mostawesomed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After giving it another look, I concluded that no additional checks
> are needed, but...
>
> Can I have a ruling on these, so that I know what to put into the docs
> for Gallium?
>
> "The scissors may be set to include area outside of the viewport."

True.

> "The driver may clamp the scissors to the viewport when scissoring is
> enabled." I know that this is wrong for GL, but is it wrong for
> Gallium?

It's always wrong.

It's best to just think of the viewport as another vertex
transformation step, like modelview or projection.  When drawing
ordinary triangles, clamping the NDC coords to [-1,1]^3 means that all
fragments will wind up being inside the viewport, but wide lines, wide
points, sprites and blits may generate rendering outside the viewport
bounds.  Scissoring is a totally separate operation.

> I'll have to double-check some sanity code in this case,
> because Radeon scissors can't ever be turned off and so they have some
> fun side effects.

In that case, the scissor bounds should match the surface bounds.

> "The scissors are ignored when the scissor flag (linkref to
> pipe_rasterizer_state::scissor) is disabled, so the scissors never
> need to be set if they will not be used."

True.  s/scissors/scissor bounds/

-Brian