> Luca,
>
> Let me make sure I understand the problem here.
>
> Are you specifically concerned about the GENERIC[x] semantic
> labels/indexes that are attached to VS outputs and FS inputs?
Yes.

> This is as intended.  The semantic indexes are used to match up
> inputs/outputs logically but they should not effect which hardware
> interpolation slots are used.

If remapping hardware is not available (or it is inefficient), then
they must also select the interpolation slots, unless the driver is
changed to recompile both shaders every time one of them changes.

I'd really like to avoid having to do that in drivers if possible.
If I'm not mistaken, the current GLSL linker is the only thing that
currently relies on the capability to use semantic indices N and
larger, where N is the number of interpolators, so fixing that seems
to be enough.
For instance, users of ARB fragment/vertex program will use matched
texcoord slots, up to the implementation limit.

The situation might change if DirectX 10 provides a remapping API, or
if there is an OpenGL extension doing that.