<asshat>
Look harder. There *should* be routing tables of some sort on there.
If there really aren't, then you might have to actually start in on
your shader compilers instead of just translating opcodes
one-at-a-time, but this isn't a bad thing as it's what everybody needs
to do for performance.
</asshat>

Also, as stated before, it's a bad idea to fix GLSL and pretend that
everything's kosher, because it'll break again next time somebody
provides a shader generator of non-trivial complexity. HLSL is the
obvious candidate, but there might be GPGPU languages that do the same
thing. While I have no serious objection to changing Gallium's TGSI
semantics and permanently forbidding this, I kind of wish the drivers
could just be more robust.

~ C.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Luca Barbieri <l...@luca-barbieri.com> wrote:
> As a concrete example, the current nv40 code does this during fragment
> program translation.
>        case TGSI_SEMANTIC_GENERIC:
>                if (fdec->Semantic.Index <= 7) {
>                        hw = NV40_FP_OP_INPUT_SRC_TC(fdec->Semantic.
>                } else {
>                        NOUVEAU_ERR("bad generic semantic index\n");
>                        return FALSE;
>                }
>                break;
>
> As a result, GLSL completely fails to work on nv30 and nv40.
>
> nv50 instead seems to have hardware routing support, which is used by
> the driver.

Only fools are easily impressed by what is only
barely beyond their reach. ~ Unknown

Corbin Simpson
<mostawesomed...@gmail.com>