On 19-01-16 10:30, Mike Looijmans wrote:
On 19-01-16 10:16, Nathan Rossi wrote:
On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Michal Simek <michal.si...@xilinx.com> wrote:
On 19.1.2016 09:07, Mike Looijmans wrote:
On 19-01-16 08:46, Michal Simek wrote:
On 18.1.2016 13:59, Mike Looijmans wrote:
On 18-01-16 13:51, Nathan Rossi wrote:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Mike Looijmans
<mike.looijm...@topic.nl> wrote:
On 18-01-16 11:59, Nathan Rossi wrote:

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Mike Looijmans
<mike.looijm...@topic.nl>
wrote:

I just tried with current xilinx/master u-boot.

QSPI support is still broken.

This makes the current bootloader useless, we ALWAYS boot from QSPI.

Any news on this front? Anything we can do?

Try u-boot mainline master, it has fixes for QSPI booting. I have it
working well on the Zybo, but the fixes were not specific to that
board.

That's what I did. QSPI works, but it's broken in SPL.

So you can boot from SD and access the QSPI flash, but you cannot
boot from
QSPI flash.

Ok, so I am a little confused, is it that SPL does not boot when using
QSPI (aka SPL never starts)? or is the issue that QSPI does not work
from within SPL aka it fails to load the image(s) from the flash?

The latter. It loads the SPL code, and then bails out with "invalid boot
mode" because it cannot read the QSPI from within the SPL.

Also which board are you using out of curiosity?

topic-miami

It's not in your list, but the QSPI is connected in the same way as the
Zed.

you wouldn't happen
to be using the zedboard? I just noticed that it is missing the
u-boot,dm-pre-reloc for the qspi node in the device tree in u-boot,
which is needed (see
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/dts/zynq-zybo.dts;h=fbbb8911910bcd1905f60811aa582966f16b3133;hb=HEAD

vs
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/dts/zynq-zed.dts;h=5ec59e2b4c6fdcf5deec58bd4d04effa2c094704;hb=HEAD).

Ah, wait... You're talking about u-boot from denx.de. I didn't know that
the Xilinx code had already merged into that. I was looking at the
u-boot-xlnx repository.

In that case, no I haven't tried current master yet. Will do.

I might want to put some effort into mainlining our u-boot code for the
board then.

Xilinx tree is not that far from mainline.

Okay, just to get things clear:

SHOULD u-boot SPL be able to boot from QSPI with current master on the
u-boot-xlnx repo? In other words, does it work with other boards?

I mean, is there something that I missed in my code and should I fix it
myself, of is the SPL support for QSPI still broken as it was after the
aforementioned commit?

I don't think it is working. But it should work when I push upgrade to
2016.01

Note though that 2016.01 does not include the SPL_DM_ALIAS patches
which are needed for QSPI flash.

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commit;h=4f627c5a59f4f69df156c199d6238849f26fe9af

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commit;h=5c9b1d735ea782c2d0ad97496d74cb1fdd27c2d9

I'm currently attempting at using the "master" and these two are already in
there.

However, I cannot get it to compile, I get this:

drivers/serial/serial-uclass.c:27:2: error: #error "Serial is required before
relocation - define CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN to make this work"

Looking at what other boards do, adding "CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN=0x2000" to my
defconfig might satisfy that, but apparently doesn't because that doesn't even
make the error go away.

Strangely, defining it in the board's config.h does make the error go away.
But no other board does it like that.

This did deliver a "boot.bin" and "u-boot.img" (current master u-boot). Put them on a card, and the SPL part seems to work (it got a LOT bigger though) but the second part is a no-go, all I get is:

U-Boot SPL 2016.01 (Jan 19 2016 - 11:47:48)
mmc boot
Trying to boot from MMC
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img

So it looks like I got all the SPL bits in place. Something is not quite right for the second stage though...

The boot.bin is now >64k and because the previous versions were only 45k in size, I only reserved 64k for it, so I can't test it on QSPI until I've trimmed it down a bit.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products