On 13 December 2017 at 19:06, Ralf Spiwoks <spiw...@cern.ch> wrote:
> Dear Sandeep and Mike,
>
> Thank you very much for your replies.
>
> I am not using video nor dual-parallel QSPI flash memory. But I need the
> Xilinx DMA driver.
> Is that a consistent part of the mainline Linux? Sorry, but I simply don't
> know where to look.

Depends on what you need in terms of the xilinx dma driver, but there
is an upstream driver. Though there is also some delta between the
upstream driver and linux-xlnx.

# git diff --stat v4.9..xilinx-v2017.3 -- drivers/dma/xilinx/xilinx_dma.c

> And apart from the drivers, there a no patches of Xilinx to other parts of
> the kernel?

There is a significant delta between mainline and Xilinx kernel.
Touching drivers, arch, soc, device trees, libfdt, some uapi headers,
etc. You should use git diff to have a look if your a concerned.

# git diff --stat v4.9..xilinx-v2017.3

> Provocatively I might ask, why does Xilinx have a dedicated repository for
> the kernel in
> that case. Is it just for convenience?

I believe the most general reason is that it is to provide support for
their devices before they have upstreamed any changes.

> I am also wondering, why the meta-xilinx recipe for the kernel build is
> based on kernel 4.9
> while the "regular" build in the same Yocto version is 4.12, or did I get
> something wrong.

Simple, the Xilinx vendor kernel is based on 4.9, and meta-xilinx
defaults to selecting the Xilinx vendor kernel (linux-xlnx).

Whilst the Yocto kernel is providing the mainline 4.12 kernel
(linux-yocto supports 2/3 kernels at once -
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Linux_Yocto).
Do note though that linux-yocto does also have patches/source trees
that are different for specific BSPs and kernel features, but for the
meta-xilinx targets it uses the
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-4.12/log/?h=standard/base
branch, which is essentially mainline.

You can also use the linux-yocto-dev kernel which moves but currently
points at 4.15-rc1,
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-dev/.

Or you can use your own kernel recipe, of which could be mainline at
what ever version desired.

You can select the kernel recipe by setting
"PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel", and the version by
"PREFERRED_VERSION_<kernel-name>" (where kernel-name is the name of
the kernel recipe e.g. linux-xlnx).

> Sorry for asking so many questions, I am trying to make a point within my
> organisation that
> it is worth using Yocto. But they are holding against me that the Xilinx
> kernel would contain
> patches which are not accepted yet in the upstream kernel, and which would
> present risks in
> using a Xilinx kernel with AARCH64 RPMs from another disctribution (in our
> case CentOS) -
> which is actually what I am really after: I would like to have my Zynqs
> running with other
> software already developed in my organisation.

Some OE users take RPMs from external sources and populate them into
their images with OE, you could do that. Though there are
considerations you would need to make with regards to dependencies and
compatibility (e.g. libc) of the external packages.

Regards,
Nathan