On 12/13/2017 04:06 AM, Ralf Spiwoks wrote:
> Dear Sandeep and Mike,
>
> Thank you very much for your replies.
>
> I am not using video nor dual-parallel QSPI flash memory. But I need the
> Xilinx DMA driver.
> Is that a consistent part of the mainline Linux? Sorry, but I simply
> don't know where to look.
>
> And apart from the drivers, there a no patches of Xilinx to other parts
> of the kernel?
>
> Provocatively I might ask, why does Xilinx have a dedicated repository
> for the kernel in
> that case. Is it just for convenience?

I've got some thoughts on this subject. This is a general problem in the
embedded Linux space and creates a great deal of pain for people
developing products based on Linux. So these thoughts are not Xilinx
specific, but for this discussion Xilinx is the example.

I regard the Xilinx Linux tree as a view into Xilinx internal
engineering work. This is a nice thing to have for developing things,
but is not a good thing for deploying in long lasting products.

There is an excellent article (with video) here:

https://www.linux.com/news/event/ELCE/2017/long-term-embedded-linux-maintenance-made-easier

For a long lasting project, I want to see kernels built from the Linux
LTS trees + patches to support things not in that kernel. These patches
should look like they are being submitted upstream, not just dumps of
commits. Ideally, they should be submitted upstream, so when I update my
kernel to eliminate things like bugs and CVE's, the patches go away.

In yocto speak, the kernel recipe for my board is a bbappend against the
linux-yocto recipe. With a new YP release, I adjust the kernel version
for the bbappend, drop patches that went upstream and fix patches that
no longer apply. (This is why I want to see all work upstreamed)

This is a process you can use to deliver products based on embedded
Linux with a long life cycle and a credible plan to fix critical
security vulnerabilities.

(Another note specific to the email further down)

> I am also wondering, why the meta-xilinx recipe for the kernel build is
> based on kernel 4.9
> while the "regular" build in the same Yocto version is 4.12, or did I
> get something wrong.
>
> Sorry for asking so many questions, I am trying to make a point within
> my organisation that
> it is worth using Yocto. But they are holding against me that the Xilinx
> kernel would contain
> patches which are not accepted yet in the upstream kernel, and which
> would present risks in
> using a Xilinx kernel with AARCH64 RPMs from another disctribution (in
> our case CentOS) -
> which is actually what I am really after: I would like to have my Zynqs
> running with other
> software already developed in my organisation.

Are you thinking of using Centos rpm's layered over a Linux built from
meta-xilinx? This is likely going to have issues with library versions
etc. It isn't clear to me what you are trying to do.

Philip