Dear Philip,

Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, I am in a rush now, but briefly:

I think the long-term stability is indeed an important issue. Another issue
is the use of existing software. And in my organisation and project there is
a lot (!) of software that I am interested in using on a Xilinx/Zynq. Of course,
that software was not developed in my group, but rather by a lot of people we
are working with. Those people are more "software people" who don't care about
the specificities of the Zynq but rather develop for mainline kernel and libc.

Maybe, the second point becomes clearer with this remark, too: I am probably
too naive, but I was thinking that I could use CentOS RPMs over a Xilinx kernel,
of course making sure that I am using the right version of glibc for those.
So, I would boot the Xilinx kernel, and then either take the installed RPMs
and glibc from the rootfs or some NFS repository and try to run them. At least,
this is what I would like to try out if I can find the time to ...
Do you think this is completely unrealistic?
The glibc version would be ways behind the one corresponding to the latest
Xilinx
kernel, so I thought that backwards compatibility should be guaranteed. There
should
only be a few specific drivers, like DMA, that I would have to take care of. I
am
further using ethernet, I2C, SPI, GPIO, and AXI memory access, but nothing for
other
specific hardware ...

Cheers,
                 Ralf.