On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 09:38:49PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> I thought about that, too; but I'm worried about having one-off
> stuff that ends up needing to be supported indefinitely.
>
> JMAP for this would take more time, but I'd be more comfortable
> carrying it long-term.
>
> I don't expect trimming after the first paragraph to be a huge
> improvement.  Retrieving any part of the message from git and
> dealing with MIME is expensive, anyways.  I wouldn't expect it
> to be a big (if any) improvement compared to POST-ing for the
> mbox.gz (&x=m&t=1) endpoint with rt:$SINCE..

Hmm... This didn't seem to do the right thing for me. For example, this
thread:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230327080502.GA570847@ziqianlu-desk2

If I ask for any new messages in that thread since 20230327120000, I get
nothing:

curl -Sf -d ''
'https://lore.kernel.org/all/?x=m&t=1&q=mid%3A20230327080502.GA570847@ziqianlu-desk2+AND+dt%3A20230328120000..'

> The mbox.gz endpoints should be a bit more efficient for the
> server than Atom feeds; decoding MIME and HTML escaping takes up
> considerable CPU time.

Good to know. I'm really looking for a way to ask the remote system "hey, is
there anything new in this thread?" so that I can quickly ignore threads
without any updates.

-K