On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 10:08:30PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > I think this is a workable approach, but would require a reindex, right?
>
> Yes, it requires a reindex to take effect, which takes ~2 days
> on my lore mirror.  The biggest problem is MUAs are likely to
> cull References: when threads get too long; so accuracy gets
> lost.
>
> Supporting /$MSGID/?q=... doesn't seem like the worst idea,
> actually; since I've seen some web forums (phpBB maybe?) have a
> "search in thread" function.
>
> thread:{sub-query} is ideal; and I wouldn't rule out doing any
> combination of the three (I don't like separating before/after).

I'm fine with either of these, and just to stress, it's not really blocking
anything I'm working on -- bugbot is in initial rollout stages, so while the
number of tracked bugs/threads remains low, even if we re-download a hundred
threads every 10 minutes, it's just internal churn between two adjacent VMs.
If it becomes heavy, I can always look into switching to lei and performing
local queries instead of doing external polling.

However, if you do want to add ability to cheaply do a "give me just the
newest messages in this thread since this datetime", that would be great for
my needs. :)

-K