>Is it possible for 24 bit PNG file to have an transparent background on
>Windows?

FWIW, my understanding is that the file format inherently supports
transparency and translucency (varying degrees of transparency).  The
problem is that currently there are few, if any, environments (browsers,
apps, etc) that support the translucency feature.  I went through PNG
support with Scott Raney some time ago and at that time he confirmed MC's
lack of translucency support.

>I need 24bit images (16 bit is ok if necessary) to have a transparent
>background in Win stacks.

It sounds like an ink effect is what you need.  Try the various ink
effects in MC to get the result you want (you may need to make your image
background either white or black depending on the effect you use).  Also,
I believe it's possible to set the opColor(?) of an image -- the color
that goes 100% transparent -- just like a transparent GIF.

Scott Rossi                    Tactile Media - Multimedia & Design
                               Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                               Web: www.tactilemedia.com