On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Scott Rossi wrote:

> >Is it possible for 24 bit PNG file to have an transparent background on
> >Windows?
>
> FWIW, my understanding is that the file format inherently supports
> transparency and translucency (varying degrees of transparency).  The
> problem is that currently there are few, if any, environments (browsers,
> apps, etc) that support the translucency feature.  I went through PNG
> support with Scott Raney some time ago and at that time he confirmed MC's
> lack of translucency support.

Correct: MetaCard currently only supports transparency, not alpha
channels.

> >I need 24bit images (16 bit is ok if necessary) to have a transparent
> >background in Win stacks.
>
> It sounds like an ink effect is what you need.  Try the various ink
> effects in MC to get the result you want (you may need to make your image
> background either white or black depending on the effect you use).

No, the problem is that he is somehow not producing a transparent PNG.
It may be that GraphicsConverter is busted, but he sent me one of the
files he produced and it doesn't have any transparent color defined in
it, and it doesn't appear transparent in Netscape or IE.  As for inks,
I still recommend avoiding them with the exception of the "noop" ink
because they're really not much use cross platform, especially if you
must run in 8-bit display depths.

> Also,
> I believe it's possible to set the opColor(?) of an image -- the color
> that goes 100% transparent -- just like a transparent GIF.

It is, and this is the only option that MetaCard supports.
  Regards,
    Scott

Scott Raney  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.metacard.com