> I am seeking some basic advice about developing a cross platform
> application in MetaCard.
>
> 1.  What is the ideal size for the card?  Perhaps a better question would
> be what is the largest card size that will still be viewable on typical
> systems that would be used by students, e.g. a 15" monitor for desk tops
> and whatever for laptops.

For education purposes, I think you will find that most schools have their
systems set to 640 x 480.  This is a comfortable resolution on a 15"
monitor.  The highest they will probably go (but not common in schools) is
800x600.  Anything higher than that gets to small and difficult on the eyes.

Laptops usually default to 800x600.  Current Apple laptops are able to sync
down and up a bit.  Some PC laptops can do that as well.  Higher end laptops
are now using the 1024x768 resolutions as their defaults.

> 2.  Which font works best for cross platform applications.
I do not require fine font control in the apps I have written.  But I have
read that others seem to prefer Arial.  I have used Helvetica.  They are
different in width from the 2 platforms.  If you do not need excact looks on
the different sides of the fence, you can use almost anything (as long as it
exists on the target computers).  Others will have a better answer for this
I am sure.

> 3.  Is it possible to deploy a stand alone application on a 3.5" floppy?
> I realize that the answer to this will be affected by the size of the
> stack that is developed but I was curious to know if it was possible or
> whether it was necessary to go to a CD for deployment.
It is possible to fit a standalone on a floppy.  I have done it.  And if it
is does not fit but is only a few hundred K over, you can use compression
tools to get it to fit.

Hope this helps some.

-Mark Talluto
KIDware Technologies