On Thursday, Aug 26 1999, "Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa" wrote:

>> 1.  What is the ideal size for the card?
>
> If old color Macs are not in the running, 640 by 480 pixels is the
> *maximum* safe area. If old color macs *are* in the running, 512 by 384
> is as big as you can safely get. Those values will fill a Mac screen.
> The top 20 pixels might be overcut by the menu, if you are installing a
> menu, or the stack might get bumped down by 20 pixels to make room for
> the menu. Try it and see what ahppens, or better still, ask Scott. ;)
>
> Shoot for 256 colors, not 16, unless you can get by with 16. (Bitmaps
> in  4-bit color look horrible compared to 8-bit, but ancient Mac LCs
> cannot handle 256 colors at 640 by 480.)

Actually, we've found that most people have 800x600x256 colors now.  The
number of people running less than that is getting smaller all the time.  We
generally develop for 800x600 as a minimum now, because squeezing stuff into
640x480 limits what you can display to too small an area for the majority of
users.  I wouldn't aim at anything higher than 256 colors though: many
people are still stuck there.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.xworlds.com/>
Cross Worlds Computing, MetaCard Distributors, Custom Development.
Tel: +44 (0)131 672 2909.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.