Hi,

I agree with a "dropping / shared pondering" from Scott in that I love the
*potential* within OPEN SOURCE for those extreme situations. That OPEN
Source feature is hard to discount, IMNSHO.

... on the other hand ....
D.B., [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote a while ago:
> "Open source" is only useful to you if you can use the code.

I beg to differ. Open source is the promise for shelter for any rainy day
given you can use the code yourself or hire someone else to do what you want
done. Open Source provides the ultimate answer to fearful "what if" future
projections. The open source answer applies to anyone when the source is
good enough for getting the job done as is.

>It will only be
> worth money to you if you can use it to do commercial work.

Value in life goes way beyond commercial work, in my opinion. If you feel
otherwise, to bad for you. Many things are worth $ to me for non-commercial
work.

>You will only
> pay for it, if doing this is more efficient than getting your head round the
> "free" stuff. Then there are the marketing problems: "is it free or what?"

Enough already. I think it is safe to say things can be otherwise.... In
general, this has little to do with MetaCard, so I'll bug out now. Good to
see the review. Good to see the open talk.

Have a safe Y2K!

Mark Rauterkus
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is the MetaCard mailing list.