On Wed, 02 Feb 2000, you wrote:
>I am working on grammar stacks (for my language students).  One of the
 >problems that language students have is typing accented vowels. For this
>reason, I have created butttons which will put accented vowels into the
> answer field.  The script below allows me to put the accented vowel in the
> answer field but it will fail substituting  a selected text. Any idea on
> how to fix the script?

Mine worked when I just did

on mouseUp
put "i" into the selectedChunk
end mouseUp

> Question 2
>
> How do I save to a file all the student's "wrong answers" so that I can go
> back and analyze them for their benefit?  All my questions are in one card.
> The student type his/her answer in a field called "ans".  I would like to
> save the files created in a folder called "ebank" or something similar. Can
> the same feature be apllied if I have multiple choice questions (buttons).

The easiest way is to append wrong answers (along with any other data like user's
name, date, the
name of the question field, etc) to an invisible field, and then at the end of a
session write
the field to an external text file, which you've stashed away in some folder that
students can't
readily find.  Thus on your quit, or end button:

on mouseUp
put fld "testLog" into newData
put "/nothingHere/stayOut/secret.txt" into fileName
open file fileName for read
put it into oldData
close file fileName
open file fileName for write
write oldData & return & newData to file fileName
close file fileName
end mouseUp

That way you've got a backup copy inside the stack in case someone trashes your secret
file anyway.

This is the MetaCard mailing list.