What about PDF which is cross platform?  If that is not possible, something
like WMF for PC (although I detest MicroSoft products), and PICT for Mac
where one could at least convert formats in an external graphics program
would be better than nothing.

<<
As I recall from the last time this discussion was raised, the main
challenge here is this one:

   Find a multi-platform vector graphics standard that everyone
   will be happy with.

PICT?  Mac-only.
WMF?   Win-only.
Display EPS?  Rarely supported.
SWF?   Privately held, changing spec, really more of an anim format
       so that once you put it in for stills folks will want all of it.
SVG?   So far only supported by a seldom-used Adobe plugin and a handlful
       of other applications.  Holds promise, but that promise has yet
       to be fulfilled.
DXF? - Only for CAD, the DXF format is a confused mess encumbered with
       extra crap for 3D (really poorly maintained, IMHO).

Of these, my vote would be to wait for SVG to become more widely adopted,
and if it does then pounce.  Of all of them, it seems to offer the best mic
of features, while being a completely open format.

What to do in the meantime?   If we were playing the numbers, I would
suggest WMF, but as a platform-specific format I would only do so if it were
as trivial to support as the Mac's PICT.>>

Philip