>>> Many programs have support for nested windows. Often they can be docked into
>>> the main window. This would be a great feature.
>> You mean like in Word. I agree this would be a fantastic feature.
>
> Hate to disagree but I only noticed the disadvantage of this Windows
> "feature". I have yet to hear the benefits.

This is one of the standard windowing models described in the Windows Human
Interface Guidelines because it allows document windows to be more closely
associated (both visually and behaviorally) with the application they belong
to.

For us MetaCard folks, if MC supported true MDI we'd be in cross-platform
heaven, as the MDI behaves very similarly to Mac OS, with a single menu bar
detached from document windows.

Without support for MDI, if your app has more than one window you need to
compromise the design.  You can make very Mac-looking apps, but your Windows
apps will always seem at least a little UNIX-like.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation