>>> For us MetaCard folks, if MC supported true MDI we'd be in cross-platform
>>> heaven, as the MDI behaves very similarly to Mac OS, with a single menu bar
>>> detached from document windows.
>
> I don't quite get the reference, MC uses only one menubar right now,
> it does not get attached to each window.  And you would have to be
> directly responsible for doing this in your own stacks.  I seem to be
> missing the point here, I understand where you're going but not where
> you're coming from.

That MetaCard's development menu bar is detached in its own window is
exactly where I was coming from:  That may be acceptable in the UNIX world,
where published UI standards are as difficult to find as a liberal in George
W's cabinet, but it is outside the HIG for Windows.  In Windows, the menu
bar is detached from documents only as part of a parent MDI window.   We've
had to ship apps using MetaCard's apprach, and Windows users have slammed us
with comments like "looks like a Mac port".  If we had MDI, we'd really have
the same thing (all the way down to the complete disregard for Fitt's law so
inherent throughout Windows' legal-restricted UI), but it would come in a
form folks would be more accustomed to and would bring document windows into
the same associative layer.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation