jbv wrote:

> - it looks like grouping controls changes the numbering of
> those controls : for instance I have 50 images on screen and
> the user can select any of them (like image 12 to 25 and 37
> to 42) and they're supposed to get automatically grouped.
> What happens is that all images being in a group are
> re-numbered ! Therefore I had no choice but to change
> my scripts and use the id instead...
> Is there any *good* reason for that kind of behavior ?

In my experience, grouped objects maintain their relative order, but their
positions relative to objects outside the group will change, since the group
is placed on top of other objects by default when it is created.

If you address objects relative to the group things should be fine, using
something like:

    get the long id of image 1 of grp "MyGroup"

One of the amazing niceties about MC is that when you ungroup objects to
work on them and then regroup them again, most of the time the original
group name is retained -- one less step to worry about.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation