At 8:23 PM +0000 7/17/01, jbv wrote:
>- the only way to group controls is to select them first,
>which makes grouping/ungrouping on the fly via script
>quite cumbersome : you need to set the selected of each
>control to true, then group, then set the selected of all
>controls back to false. And if you don't wznt your controls
>to be selected on screen during the process, you have to
>perform a lock screen / unlock screen...

Depending on how much flexibility you need, relayerGroupedControls can help with this.
You probably want pre-existing groups to make it work well, and if I understand
correctly, each pre-existing group needs at least one object in it (but the object
could be a point, or invisible). Then to add an existing object to a group, you simply
set the layer of the object to the layer of the object in the group.

>- it looks like grouping controls changes the numbering of
>those controls : for instance I have 50 images on screen and
>the user can select any of them (like image 12 to 25 and 37
>to 42) and they're supposed to get automatically grouped.
>What happens is that all images being in a group are
>re-numbered ! Therefore I had no choice but to change
>my scripts and use the id instead...
>Is there any *good* reason for that kind of behavior ?

Groups are inherently part of the layering scheme of the objects on a card; take a
look at the control browser for a card with several objects and groups on it to get a
very clear picture of this. The control browser is like an outline, and hence you
can't have objects that aren't on consecutive layers be in the same group. When you
select items and group them, if necessary they are automatically relayered so that
they are next to each other.

gc