I think I may have missed a little of this thread, but I'd suggest that the
most important property to most people was the "visible rect". In other
words the user usually want the rect so they can position the borders to
line up visually with other objects.

I haven't yet delved into the intricacies of the rect property so it would
really help me and probably other people on the list if someone could list
those properties that change the "visible rect" while keeping the "rect
according to Metacard the same. At the moment I end up fiddling around
adding or subtracting a couple of pixels from the resize handlers, until it
does what I want - hardly scientific -:)

The first "gotcha" was with groups and borders - when you have a nice square
object with things inside it and you group them and try to position the
group... only to find it's positioned 4 pixels out, because of the
"invisible" default 4 pixel border. So I'll add that to the list as number
1:

    1) Group rect ‚ "visible rect" if margin ‚ 0 and showborder is off.

    2) ?