Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 9:57 AM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Be like Mike (?)

A couple of items about Mike Farmer's journey:

1. All "meteorites are deemed owned by the Geological Survey of India, without compensation." Adam Hupe tells me that he didn't visit India for a recovery effort because he couldn't obtain a permit. It is Mike's responsibility to be aware of local law. Mike is apparently about to leave India with a 14 gram fragment obtained without a permit.

If the members of this list endorse this legally questionable action, I want to state that I do not.

2. Mike wrote that "liberal, if not quite true use of the word "University"" allowed him access to the recovered fragments.

Shades of Ron Farrell (Bethany Science) a "Yale Professor" when "necessary."

Meteorite recovery where "the ends justify the means" shines a very dim light on the hobby at an already very dark time.

What would Harvey do?

Kevin Kichinka