  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 6:04 PM
  Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] 'Rites & Wrong Cartoon (2), and Mike Farmer's Park
Forest

  En un mensaje con fecha 03/29/2004 4:56:01 PM Mexico Standard Time, [EMAIL
PROTECTED] escribe:

    Such thefts did not occur in Park Forest and I resent the implication that they
did.

  For those of us not fortunate enough to have the resources to visit the fair town of
Park Forest Illinois and partake in the thrilling permitted hunting, this is
interesting to read about, considering I am always hearing about how dangerous Mexico
is to travel in and whether it's true or not, I don't much like hearing it.

  Without confronting the alledged racist content which is not my place to opine on
your culture, of what was alledged to be an innocent cartoon, this got me thinking
about politics in general.  Is it true that Mike Farmer was blackmailed in Park Forest
by the Village Manager and forced to give up something he honestly purchased in good
faith?  I don't find any of this humorous anymore, as I assume that this Village
Manager person represents the interests of the Village of Park Forest as she uses the
official email of Park Forest.  I really am nort interested in the legality of all
this, but just would like to make a point that the next time someone from north of the
Border tells me about Mexico, check to see if all back home on the farm is as rosy as
you think.

  A little internet browsing on Park Forest turns up an African-American guy who was
stopped for a traffic violation, denied his lawyer, then beaten and tortured by racist
police officers (said officers convicted of racism) and given the death penalty for a
murder he tried to deny but was hooded and nearly smothered by a typewriter cover, and
denied food and bathroom for many hours until forced to sign a clearly coerced
confession.

  It also turns up another case of a young woman unloading the groceries from her car
who was then butchered to death by a knife wielding 15 year old in Park Forest, who
was not allowed a (parental and) lawyer visit in accordance with Miranda rights.

  Interestingly, it also turns up a long essay by a person who seems to be respectful,
complaining about the lack of funding for public school in Park Forest, as she
complains that since the town of Park Forest was founded it has gone downhill as its
mall was basically vacated in favor of other better situated places, leaving the town
mall in unacceptable shape.  The writer patriotically points out that the town sold
some property to counteract the downward trend for a apparently fair $350,000 or so,
but then sent them their tax bill assessment of basically the same amount, causing him
to have to walk (sounds like Farmer's dilemma?).  The author?  Janet Murchnik.

  Finally in its population of about 24,000 people, crime statistics are
available...two murders a year, 20 rapes a year, 20 robberies a year, all about
constant, but burglary (up 21% to 155), larceny (up 27% to 468) and assault (up 42% to
54) are very disturbing as they showed dramatic increases. (2002 / 2001) .

  I would like to congratulate Park Forest for hiring two new police officers last
week to combat this type of problem.  But if this is a safe town as the tone of the
Village suggests, and if Wichita Kansas is right up there with it....PF, a Pueblo of
24,000 souls ... that's smaller than most major university student bodies.  That is a
very very dangerous place by international standards.  and it is considered safer than
surrounding communities?  (Actually, Olympia Fields seems much more safe per the
statistics, so I am not sure about that).

  Perhaps Mark will even consider taking down his cartoon, if he were treated with
respect instead of the aggressive overtures of guilty before deliberation: as it is
clear why PF is so sensitive to these issues, but in this case I don't understand why
this type of polarization must come to the list.  I do understand Mark's problem: he
has been accused of something that is considered reason to be removed from the IMCA
... so he is forced to speak up as he feels he is innocent ... Why is he being walked
into a corner?  What ever happened to respect and friendliness to get things done?
How wonderful the meteorite chose to make Park Forest special.  I hope the town can
make the best of it.  A lot of the natives were probably pretty happy with the needed
income they received from the meteorite hunters, publicity, and indirect income.
Congratulations!

  Saludos
  Doug
  Mexico
I was blackmailed and threatened by Police Cheif DiGuardio, it was in the papers, I was forced to return a $5000 piece of meteorite. I could have fought it but did not have the time as I was traveling alot last year.
He demanded the stone several times, threatend to file charges, then in the newspaper interview, he said he never did that. If he had not done that, I would not have returned the stone.
Mike Farmer
To the people in Park Forest? Is that piece I returned to Police Cheif DiGuardio on display in the town, or did he re-sale it.