According to the Bolivian mineral dealers several kilos went over the border, much of which I was told was sold to someone in Japan. A lot is still being sold out of Bolivia.

At the moment on ebay..some larger pieces.

Item number: 170197093360
Item number: 180212970860
Item number: 180199806156
Item number: 180210443310

Graham Ensor

Michael Farmer wrote:

Tim, it is somewhere in the 10 kilo range, giv or take
a kilo. Of the 10 kilos I know of, about 6 kilograms
was fine dust in baggies. Hans Koser has this
material, he was trying to sell it at the Tucson show.
Moritz Karl and I bought the other ~3 kilos he had,
and most of that is sold now. I have less than 400
grams of material left for sale. Calr Esparza in
Tucson got around 1.4 kilo with Bob Haag, I bought all
of Bob's share from him.
There is about a kilo in a museum in La Paz, Bolivia.
So around 12 kilos is my estimate of total material
recovered.
Michael Farmer
--- Tim Heitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Has any one ever determined how much of was
recovered?

Thanks,
Tim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Farmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Adam Hupe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Adam" <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Carancas crater

Adam
You told everyone on this list that Carancas was
not a
crater, you have been proven wrong, I was proven
right
with the papers in the news this week, I am merely
clarifying that, nothing more.
Now, what problem is it of mine that uneducated
idiots
pissed in the crater? Does that ruin the event,
make
it useless, wipe it from the history books? It was
handled fine on my end, things just got bad when
police tried to steal all of our money. What is
your
advice, should I have gone to the president of
Peru?
When you are in the crap, you make decisions on
the
spot, it is not as easy as sitting at your desk
and
typing emails. The locals were nice, just poor
people
who had no idea what was going on, the government
was
inept and corrupt, and the police took advantage
of
the situation to try and rob us, then the
proverbial
crap hit the fan from all sides. Oh well, the
crater
was studied, a tiny amount of the meteorite was
saved,
and the rest, as they say, it history.
Michael Farmer
--- Adam Hupe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mike and List,

I conceded the point long ago that the term
crater
also applies to the Carancas event.  I also
stated
that there are different types of craters and
this
one
falls into the impact pit category as was the
case
with the Sikhote Alin event.  Some of the craters
(impact pits) left by Sikhote Alin were also
explosive
embedding pieces of the meteorite in trees and
yet
Ninninger, along with dozens of scientists
referred
them as impact pits.  I admit the definition is
somewhat hazy is why I qualified the term with
me,"

My only problem with the Carancas thing is that
was
over-hyped from the beginning with much
misinformation
surrounding it. Then, no respect was given to the
occurrence and a circus soon followed. People
will
treat you the way you allow them, the same
applies
the Carancas event.  Trash was thrown into the
impact
pit, people relieved themselves into it and greed
soon
became a problem.  I think if the event was
handled
in
a more professional matter, I would not have a
problem
with it. The way it stands, I have zero respect
for
the way it was handled.

The last from me on this,

Adam