To: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 8:40 AM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Tektite with metal?

Hey all,

On my recent adventure to the Tucson show I purchased many meteorites and about 6 kilos of tektites, in the batch of tektites I found an odd piece. Now I'm very familiar with chondrites but know little to nothing about tektites. Can someone please tell me what I'm looking at here.

It's an odd piece. It appears to be metal embedded in the tektite in two places. This is the only piece I have that exhibits this inclusion. Is this a natural inclusion that formed after the tektite was formed or is it just something "stuck" in the tektite???

The piece is about 34 grams... http://www.meteoritesusa.com/tektites.htm

This is bugging me because I can't find any info on it and I'd like to know if this is normal for a tektite or just some fluke oddity.

Regards,
Eric

Regards,
Eric Wichman