Bob,

Nope! Not sure at all.. That's why I sent the email to the list, in the hopes that you guys might know.

Metallic looking minerals in tektites just seem odd to me, and being as this is my first experience with tektites I figured I'd inquire if this were normal... Apparently it's not so normal. Regardless if it's metal or a metallic looking mineral inclusion it is fascinating.

I've cleaned 6 kilos of this material (hundreds of pieces) over the last few days and this is the only one that has this type of inclusion. I've searched Google with no luck. I did read a short blurb about iron spheroids being embedded in tektites but don't remember where I saw the article, and these inclusions are certainly not spherical.

Eric

Bob King wrote:
Hi Eric,
Are you sure it's solid metal? Could it be a mineral? I'm not tektite
expert but I have found occasional bits of material that have
mineralized over time in the deep pits and grooves of tektites. The
material I've seen is brownish but it's rocky, not metallic.
Bob