If all salts were weighed correctly and precisely, pH does not need to be adjusted. That's the whole point of those PBS recipes.

pH being off target is an indication that amounts of salts were incorrect. A common problem is not taking into account the exact crystalline form of phosphates - they are available as anhydrous or several water-containing forms. The amounts to use depend on water content. You may be having bigger problem than just precipitation because molar concentrations you have may be incorrect since the pH is off.

The explanation for your precipitation: the 10M concentration of NaOH that you use to adjust the pH is too high in case you have Ca or especially Mg salts in the solution. No matter how fast you stir the solution, the uniformity does not happen instantaneously. It takes at least several seconds for the NaOH solution to mix uniformly. While this is happening, there are some local areas where pH is still highly alkaline (theoretical pH of 10M NaOH, assuming full dissociation, is ~15, in practice, apparent pH is close to 14, which means alkaline concentration is seven orders of magnitude higher than your target!). At this level of alkalinity, calcium and, especially magnesium hydroxides precipitate. Calcium hydroxide dissolves relatively easy upon mixing, magnesium - not so much. It forms very complex forms which dissolve very slow at neutral pH. Furthermore, to complicate things even more, magnesium phosphate, especially basic phosphate are very insoluble at neutral pH, but they are very easily formed in the presence of phosphate (regardless where it comes from) and hydroxide (regardless where it comes from). And this is your precipitation which at neutral pH is irreversible.

So, you have a buffer with wrong concentration of phosphate, wrong pH, almost no magnesium, and probably much less calcium that it should be (calcium phosphate is also insoluble, same concept as with Mg, but just a bit more labile, but don't count on it for practical reasons).

- Check your phosphates first for hydration forms, and if they are correct, you should not need to adjust pH, if it's off - your salts are bad.

- Confirm that containers where you keep phosphates are very tightly closed, as exposure to air changes composition due to moisture in the air, especially if original form was anhydrous.

- If you absolutely need to adjust pH, do NOT use NaOH with concentration higher than 1M, and titrate VERY slowly, one very small drop at a time and wait till pH stabilizes completely before adding another drop.

This is all supposed to be very common basic knowledge in inorganic/analytical chemistry which is a prerequisite for buffer preparation.

Alternatively, there are plenty of commercial sources of PBS

Dmitry Bochkariov, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist
Advansta Inc.
1505 Adams Drive, Suite B1