Hi Matt

Here's an app that I put together, roughly copied from a current project:

    https://github.com/averagehuman/mezzanine-invites

The idea is that, rather than creating users directly, you create invite
codes which you give to your colleagues. Then you enable a custom auth
backend which, when it detects a valid code having been entered, will
automatically create a new user. It is then up to you to create an
appropriate registration/login form incorporating a 'key' field. Eg. a form
with

    + invite code
    + email
    + username
    + password
    + repeat password

In my own use case, I'm printing out invitation codes and handing them to
(possibly-not-very-computer-literate) people as a quick login/registration
method, so my login form has a single 'invite_code' field. Also, I am
allowing this code to be reused as a login token, but in your case if you
are emailing this token then it ought to be "one-shot", so you would have
to arrange to set 'expired=True' after first use. (Or see the
INVITE_CODES_ARE_REUSEABLE setting).

YMMV, it's a bit rough, but there it is.

gmflanagan

averagehuman.org