Hi, Josh and all--

Well, I found out that if I set ACCOUNTS_APPROVAL_REQUIRED and
ACCOUNTS_VERIFICATION_REQUIRED to True, as per Stephen's message, I
can then create an inactive user, then go back and set their account
active, and they get a confirmation email. I'm a little confused by
the logic there: if you create and activate an account in separate
steps, a confirmation email is sent, but not if you create an account
that is active from the beginning. Is that intentional, or is it just
a side-effect of the logic for creating public accounts?

Anyway, I'm still looking for a more elegant solution, but this
two-step procedure will work for now.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Josh Cartmell <joshcar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Matt, an alternative idea would be to connect to the post save signal
> for User,
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/signals/#django.db.models.signals.post_save.
>
> If the user was created perform a password reset on them.  Here's the code
> in Mezzanine that does resets,
> https://bitbucket.org/stephenmcd/mezzanine/src/05319e2db0712eced56bfd7551fc6078119cbbc8/mezzanine/accounts/views.py?at=default#cl-137.
> Then the "password reset" email would allow them to choose a new password
> and login.

Okay ... I found the above documentation and code, and I sort of
understand ... I think I don't yet have a good grasp of how the
different parts of Django fit together, but anyway, if I do something
like this, what would be the best place to put the code? It doesn't
seem like something that should be an app ... or is it?

--
Matt Gushee