On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:58:26PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Sean asked:
> > ... Anyone have any other ideas about how to get
> > the word out?  We've got 2 months till the first meeting, so we should have
> > time to get a decent crowd for our kick off.
> > 
> 
> Have you tried contacting the Mid-Hudson Computer User Group?
> I have seen them at some of the computer shows.  

Not yet, I guess I didn't find them during my search for equivalent groups
in the area.  I'll definitely drop them a line and let them know what we are
doing.
 
> They seem to be an all purpose group, but I can see gaining a bit
> of interest from *ix junkies within their ranks.  I don't know if 
> the general idea here is that it may be bad to form ranks with 
> another group right away (i.e. fears of "well, this is how WE do it
> in OUR group") or not, but I certainly don't think it would hurt to let
> them know about the mhvlug to get the word moving around a bit.

I would like the LUG to exist on its own right and seperately.  I think that
part of what makes a successful LUG different from other societies, is the
constant attempt to reach out to less experienced members of the comunities,
rather that focusing on existing professionals in a specific area.  The
"install fest" is in some ways the pinacle of this, where more experienced
members spend a day helping anyone and everyone put Linux onto their
computer.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll definitely follow up with them.

        -Sean

-- 
_______________________________________________________________________
                                
Sean Dague                [EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://dague.net

There is no silver bullet.  Plus, werewolves make better neighbors than
zombies, and they tend to keep the vampire population down.
_______________________________________________________________________

Attachment: msg00009/pgp00000.pgp
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to