On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 09:34:39AM -0500, Peggy McKeon wrote:
> We might want to line up a meeting with one of the times Dan Frye is in
> town since he's IBM's Mr. Linux to the outside world. You might want to ask
> Jim Gleason for some suggestions too. NYC is not far, so he might have some
> good ideas and lessons learned from their experience.

Those are both great ideas.  I've been in contact with Jim a bit in the
past, and hope to see him at Linux World to discuss such things.

> I also suggest down the road you make the meeting 2 tracks (I know, that
> means multiple rooms), one for beginners and one for advanced topics. You
> can find out the needs of the group by doing a quick 3-4 question survey at
> the end of each meeting. I've been involved with the HVPMI chapter for
> years and there are >200 members, but only 25-35 who are involved and
> actually do things or care who the speakers are, so don't pull your hair
> out trying to please everybody. If somebody makes a suggestion get them to
> follow up on making it happen for the whole group.

I do have a concern about 2 tracks as a putting the cart before the horse
thing.  If we had >200 members like MVPMI, then it would be feasable.  But
right now we're a mailing list of 20, so I'd rather try to keep critical
mass by keeping it to one meeting, one speaker.  As time passes, and the
group grows, and we figure out what works, then we can branch off in other
directions.  But I think we first need a stable group with stable
attendance.

        -Sean

-- 
_______________________________________________________________________
                                
Sean Dague                [EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://dague.net

There is no silver bullet.  Plus, werewolves make better neighbors than
zombies, and they tend to keep the vampire population down.
_______________________________________________________________________

Attachment: msg00013/pgp00000.pgp
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to