--ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 10:54:04AM -0400, Gary Pagliaro wrote:
> hey all, quick question : I have a dual boot system Win/Redhat w/ GRUB
> IDE 0 Win FAT 32 boot with GRUB on MBR
> IDE1 Redhat 8.0
> I want to try Gentoo Linux on a different hard drive, I want to remove
> the Red Hat drive and install a new 8 gig drive with Gentoo, but I want
> to be able to go back to Red Hat if needed. Any easy solutions here ? I
> am fairly new, but can follow instructions and edit some files. I
> thought of either copying GRUB to a floppy for safe keeping, or setting
> bios to boot off of IDE1. Thoughts ??
I'm not the worlds biggest GRUB expert, but I'll give this one a shot.=20
Because IDE0 is your windows drive, and GRUB is installed on IDE0's MBR,
removing IDE1 shouldn't be a problem. If you have the same partition scheme
on both disks (i.e. same partition for /boot), you *should theoretically* be
able to switch between the secondary IDE drives with no problem. GRUB has
enough code in the MBR to get to its conf file (as long as it is in the same
place), and read everything else from there. I would keep a copy of your
current GRUB conf file /boot/grub/grub.conf on a floppy so that you can
construct it nicely on Gentoo (as I'm not sure they have good tools to do
that for you).
At any rate, it will be a fun science project. :) As you hit things going
forward, I'd love to see if my idea works, or is totally on crack.
-Sean
--=20
__________________________________________________________________
Sean Dague Mid-Hudson Valley
sean at dague dot net Linux Users Group
http://dague.net http://mhvlug.org
There is no silver bullet. Plus, werewolves make better neighbors
than zombies, and they tend to keep the vampire population down.
__________________________________________________________________
--ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature
Content-Disposition: inline
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
iD8DBQE+06vYSamXem9TdyYRAriUAKCSP8ljbh+DteR9z9aK75//tfrwaACgrvh0
kGcRhNpKd/CxghRxIwtIl0M=
=V8Wx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ--
_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug