--- Henry Landry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gang
> 
> I'll put together a presentation about Samba for the
> next meeting if you
> still don't have a presentation yet. Since Samba is
> a vast subject; that is why they write whole books
> just about it, I'd like some feedback on what
> things you'd like to see or subjects covered. Given
> the limited time for the presentation, we could
> break the subject into smaller chunks for short
> application presentations; like Samba as a PDC, or
> Samba and LDAP. Actually, this method may be a
> method to bridge the gap between newbie
> subjects and more technical presentations; to give a
> general presentation and then follow-up that with
> smaller presentations on the technical aspects
> in following months. This way you can build on the
> foundation of knowledge.
> Anyway, I thought that I would cover; Samba history,
> installation, configuration, usage (as client and
> server), printing and a demonstration.
> Again. I'd like your feedback. This is "your"
> meeting, so lets hear about what you want to hear.
> If you want to hear about the more technical
> subjects, I can adjust the presentation.
> 
> Henry Landry
  I like the idea of mini-presentations covering
aspects of a larger subject. They can be limited in
presentation time to bite-size chunks, and perhaps
even presented in parallel if they really fall into
basic/advanced tracks. Personally, I am interested in
Samba as PDC, serving Linux resources (disk & print)
to Windows clients, strategies for common user/group
management between Linux & Windows, and how Samba fits
into a distributed environment (i.e., parts of an
enterprise that communicate through public access
Internet) with SSH, VPN, etc.
  Actually, what I am really interested in is
troubleshooting my installations at home. If we have
access to a broadband connection at the next
installfest, this type of personal assistance would be
possible. Besides the fact that they are in Austin,
I'm not going bring in the four or more systems in my
house and reproduce my network to do this, but I can
remote access. Besides, guided learning in the art of
remote maintenance is a valuable installfest feature
in general for folks like me, comfortable with a 
single system and looking to expand my scope to
multi-system issues. I'll even volunteer to bring my
wireless router and donate the use of my dial-up
account if necessary.

=====
Opinions herein are exclusively my own, unless you share them.
Kevin Calman, codex24 at yahoo dot com, Austin, TX, US
_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to