Herman,

There appears to be a syntax error in your XF86Config file.  I'm assuming
you haven't edited this yourself, so I'm guessing that something failed in
the automatic configuration during install.

You can fix this particular problem by editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in your
favorite editor (vi, emacs, jove...) and giving the "DefaultDepth" parameter
in line 80 an argument.  This is the "bits-per-pixel" value and you probably
want 24 for it so it should look like this:
   
   DefaultDepth 24

That said, there's an excellent chance that there are other problems with
your configuration.  I'm not a KDE (or, for that matter, Mandrake) user
myself, so I'm not exactly sure how X should be getting started in this
context.  However, if no one else can suggest anything, I'd be happy to help
walk you through it over IM or IRC.

Herman wrote:
> 
> I have tried 3 times to install Mandrake 9.1
> 
> 
> everything works fine - until the system reboots - then it drops me into 
> console mode instead of KDE .
> when I enter KDE at the command prompt I get the error message shown in the 
> attached screen shot - It appears there is something wrong the config of my 
> monitor?? How do I get back to xfeeconfig? I am fairly new at this command 
> line stuff .
> 
> Thanks
> Herman
> 
> -- 
> Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
> 


=============================================================================
michaelMuller = [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cloud9.net/~proteus
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to
gain control. - Thomas Jefferson
=============================================================================
_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to