If you missed the Installfest, you missed out. I think
bandwidth was the magic ingredient. I hope I speak for all who
attended when I express my gratitude to Dan for taking the time
and effort to convince his employer to host our event, and to
all who participated, technically and organizationally. I was
not able to stay till the end, but from what I saw, many folks
came, installed, tweaked, and went away happy.
  All that being said, there were a few things that we might
want to take into account in the future (please do not take
these as criticisms, but just random musings on my part).
  The room was packed! If we continue to do these events into
the fall, and attract any kind of walk-in attendance, we will
overload a room of that size and arrangement (about a 20-person
training room with desks). It was a little difficult for new
arrivals to find space and set up, unless someone else left.
External access could have been better, but I am not
complaining as its a small price to pay for the wonderful
facilities.
  External IP connectivity is essential. My own aim, as well as
several others I saw, was not so much to install a first time,
but to learn to maintain a system over time, using whatever
tools the distro of one's choice provides to distribute
updates. I was also interested in tweaking my home network,
which I accessed remotely. Finding drivers, updates, new apps,
and even whole distros can be done with an external connection.
Even if we can't secure comparable bandwidth (phenominal, as
the host is an ISP), we need to ensure at least a dialled
connection at future events.
  A little coordination goes a long way! Just by virtue of
having someone oversee division of labor between volunteers, I
believe a much better presentation was achieved. Sorta like an
open source project...
  Again, thanks to all who participated.

=====
Opinions herein are exclusively my own, unless you share them.
Kevin Calman, codex24 at yahoo dot com, Austin, TX, US
_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to