I did think about using the "agent" field --- unfortunately, in this
instance John Smith is (in real life) an agent and John Doe is the
agent's assistant. I have a feeling that using the agent's "agent"
field for the agent's assistant's hcard or the associate agent's
hcard is just going to cause confusion all round.

The vCard 'agent' field strongly means that the enclosed vCard is an
assistant or proxy of the main vCard, it doesn't mean 'agent' in any
of the other senses of the name.

" This type typically is used to specify an area
 administrator, assistant, or secretary for the individual associated
 with the vCard. A key characteristic of the Agent type is that it
 represents somebody or something that is separately addressable."

Looks like it's an unfortunate semantic conflation which is
restricted to this particular domain of discourse.

I suppose if you're using 'agent' to mean something else then yeah,
but that's a risk that all the microformat class names run.

-Ciaran